- Stone or Brick Cooking Counter- The cook has decided to take the kitchen outside. Mom no longer needs to be sequestered inside while everybody else relaxes on the patio. Now the grill, sink, and counters are all outside so nobody misses out on conversation or good times. Natural stone or brick are popular treatments for these outdoor islands.
- Complete Kitchen Island – The concept of the outdoor kitchen counter can be taken one step further into an expanded kitchen island. This larger space is designed to include a refrigerator, oven, microwave, and counter style seating area. Bar style stools or chairs can be placed on one or both sides of the counter. Many families prefer this casual approach for everyday dining.
- Natural Stone or Masonry Privacy Walls – These outdoor entertainment centers are actually little rooms. Sometimes the boundaries are marked simply by a patio floor, but stone walls in combination with shrubs and other natural features can also demarcate the room.
- Outdoor Fireplace – A brick or stone fireplace is an ideal focal point. It is often placed across or kitty corner to the food preparation area to encourage people to gather away from the grill. This maximizes space and encourages an even and comfortable flow during parties and large gatherings. An outdoor fireplace sets the perfect tone, especially for nighttime events.
- Permanent Pergola – A pergola, a permanent canopy with open sides, can demarcate an area of the outdoor room. Posts can be set into one or two short brick walls or the posts can be centered into a patio floor. The pergola can designate a dining or cooking area.
- Covered Outdoor Room – If your yard is in a very sunny area and you’d like some shade for your backyard kitchen, consider a pavilion style room with four open walls. The roof and patio floor create the room and a stone counter island and stone fireplace can add exciting elements.
Outdoor kitchen-dining rooms can stand alone or be incorporated into a pool or pond setting. Contact an experienced stone mason for design ideas and suggestions.